Salvation is by faith through grace, and not of works lest any man should boast.

Monday, April 04, 2005

Deep Toughts

Deep Toughts Hot Pursuit Or, What I did Friday Morning. It was a still and quiet night. I had just arrived home from my paper route and was walking up the drive when I heard a loud crash followed by the sound of plate glass tinkling. Turning toward the sound, I realized that it had come from a section of new homes that are not yet occupied. I figured that it might be a thief and I wondered what I should do. As I stood there, a car appeared at the end of the street, and rounded the corner. I watched it going down the road when it stopped, a guy got out, smashed the side window of parked car, jumped back in and the car speed off. This is not the kind of thing that I stand around and let slide. I jumped back into my car, and tore off after them. As I went I called 911 on the cell phone. When I got to the intersection where our subdivision connects with a main road, there were only two cars on the road with visibility of about a mile in either direction. One was coming at me, and one was about a quarter mile away to my right and moving away from me. I turned right and speed toward them. They came to the four way stop at Lone Star and Midland, and without stopping turned right, I turned right and spotted them tuning into a side street. I followed. They pulled to a stop as the street was a dead-end, I got behind them and read their plate number to the officer on the phone. They then pulled a 180 and speed out onto Midland again, crossed Lone Star without stopping and turned right again somewhere around Smith. At that point I no longer felt the need to give chase, the police were able to catch them. They had smashed the drivers side window of a older car. It looked like about a 68 Pontiac four door. And they had broken a window in a new home, one of these vinyl insulated windows, double glass, and gas filled… very spendy. The Police did catch them, a group of teenagers in a silver Honda Accord who all claimed to have just been minding there own business, as if I’d gotten the wrong car. –Not a Chance!- But a call from the Police officer Sunday morning to review my account of things, informed me that since I had lost visual contact with the vehicle from the time it turned out of the subdivision until I had reached that intersection myself… he was going to have to let them off. If only the lighting had been better.. if I had gotten a better description of the guy who smashed the car window… but all I could see was a silhouette of a tall and slender person wearing pants and a shirt who had short hair. That description would fit about 30% of the population here. Oh well… at least I tried. -Dan.

2 comments:

davis,br said...

Okay buddy ...if you've going to go around and play at Mr. Responsibility then it's time to iron up. As in: get a concealed carry permit & the requisite handgun ...I can only assume you already know how to use one.

Seriously, Daniel: stuff like this can get you dead, or on somebody's list.

That said: Good Job! though ...it's exactly what I hope I would've done ...and I don't have a CC & gun. (Listen to what I say, not what I do.)

And ...is Toughts supposed to be a clever play on "Thoughts"?

...I'm so slow.

Pastor Torch said...

Wha!? Thoughts... (grr) but then again, if something isn't misspelled, I probably didn't write it! I was edumacted in California after all :-)

Hey br... I know the feeling..it's called fear. We all have to face up to it. The way I look at it is this, it is better to do the right thing now, and there is ample time to be fearful latter. But NEVER, ever let fear keep you from doing what is right!

As for (Listen to what I say, not what I do..) I've heard that line before from someone who was eating behind the wheel of a car... I didn't listen to him then either.

< BIG GRIN >

About Me

Student of all trades, not ordained by any church.