Salvation is by faith through grace, and not of works lest any man should boast.

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

New room mates

In my office, I now have two new ‘room mates.’  They are alike in some ways, and quite opposite in all others.  The contrast between them I find most amusing.  One is a futon, the other is an elliptical.  Both were bought brand new.  Both came in a box with lots of packaging.  Both came with “some-assembly-required.”  Both are made mostly of metal.  Both take-up some considerable real-estate in my office.

 

That is about where the comparison ends.  To use the futon, one must either sit and relax or lay down and sleep.  It is one big sitting place that can be made into an even larger sleeping place.  It has cushions and pillows and a warm wrap.  In contrast, to use the elliptical you must stand up on the “pedals” as there is no place to sit at all.  It has no cushions or pillows, nor will it allow you to relax, let alone sleep.  In order to use it, you have to keep it moving.  It has an electronic display to show you how much exercise you have done. 

 

So one makes you tiered, the other gives you a place to rest.  

 

There are a lot of things in this crazy world that are like that.  Like yen and yang, opposites that fit neatly together and create a sort of whole.  Like light and dark.  If we only had one or the other, could we still have a rainbow?  Technicalities aside, I think you see my meaning.

 

That elliptical is just what the doctor ordered.  I don’t get enough exercise on any given day and my middle has exceeded it’s boundaries as consequence.  But the futon is just as important.  While it would not do to let my physical vessel deteriorate while I am improving my mind, neither can one contemplate deep thoughts while your calves are screaming and your heart is pounding in your ears.  Meditation, I’ve found, is better done with a more relaxed posture.

 

 

No comments:

About Me

Student of all trades, not ordained by any church.