Salvation is by faith through grace, and not of works lest any man should boast.

Tuesday, March 22, 2005

New House Blues

I just do not understand what is taking them sooo long!  They aren't ready for us to sign on Monday (as we had hoped, and planed for weeks ago!)  They say they can't be ready on Tuesday either, that we are looking at Wednesday... AND if we have to wait for it to fund before we can actually move in... we are looking at Thursday!  I wanted to start moving in on Monday because we have a lot to do between now and next Monday when I am back in school and I need to be settled in by that date so I can again concentrate on my studies.  At this point there appears to be -no-such-luck!
 
I know. I know we should be excited about being able to BUY a NEW home... but this waiting, and wasting time is for the birds!
 
So in honor of the moment I thought I'd compile a list of all the things I will NOT miss about the old house.
(Our old house was built in 1915 and it has the hardware to prove it!)
 
...waiting for some-one to get out of the shower when you have to go really bad.
...the constant drip from the faucet
...the toilet that always acts about half plugged
...the squeaky floors
...the dirty carpets
...the dust!
...the unfinished basement that is forever collecting junk
...the bathroom that is so small you can't even change your mind after you go in.
...the fact that my daughters have to share a bedroom
...the yard that is too large for us and requires too much up-keep
...shoveling snow off a gravel driveway
...people racing past, in the alley!
...not being able to leave anything out, because people racing past in the alley might stop and cart it off!
...the traffic noise from the street, such as pickups that make more noise than school buses or Semi's!
...having people crash into our front yard
...listening to mobile juke boxes, from the backroom with all doors and windows closed
...not having enough room to entertain family around the holidays
...not having a quiet place to do my studies
...working in a kitchen that is short on cabinet space
...the olive green cabinets
...doors that are hard to close and seem to forever be popping open
...the hot summers with inadequate cooling
...putting in the window air-conditioners and taking them back out in the fall
 
We have lived in this house for ten years... so to be fair, here are some things I might miss...
...having a shop where I can work on things or build things.  From here on in I'll have a garage (part of the house) it won't be the same but I might learn to live with it.
...the huge back yard and little pond, always promised to be a great place to sit, relax and reflect.  Never quite made it work.
...fruit trees! A plum, an apple, a walnut, a peach... trees that grow things you can eat (yum) we have raspberries and blackberries growing along the fence along with a patch of mint.  The garden is huge and would feed us all summer long, at least the vegetable portion of the menu.  We ran out of time for keeping a garden though... too many weeds to pull and other chorus that are required.
 
 
 
   ^-^              The wise
  (*v*)              Ol' Owl
  ()   ()
--"---"----         Dan Willey

 

No comments:

About Me

Student of all trades, not ordained by any church.